My tenets for teaching students in film are at the same time the characteristics of the most successful students:
- A knowledge and love of film.
- An understanding of story, especially character.
- An understanding of the major phases of the production process.
- Integrity coupled with a willingness to learn.
- In production, the ability to work well under stress and in collaboration with others.
In all my classes, I emphasize process, clear communication, and focus on the task-at-hand. I am enthusiastic and inspired by my students and what they have learned. At the American Film Institute (AFI), I work with students in the following course: